It’s really quite a tease, these couple of days of near 60˚weather. Because of this unusually warm winter we’ve been having, I was able to ride my bike on Sunday to our friend Walken’s house. Last warm spell I rode to t’ai chi class at the Friendship (Senior) Center, and to pick up a few items at Midtown Foods. I am also in either walking or biking distance from:
– Paperbacks and Pieces, a book exchange that also sells some new books and other items
– Nia (aerobics class) at the WMCA
– the Winona Public Library and Post Office
– two coffee shops and the Acoustic Café (plus innumerable fast food or pizza joints)
– Chapter Two Books (more used books)
– Bluff Country Food Co-op, and the downtown Farmers Market (in season)
– Winona State University, incl. theaters and auditoriums
– several large churches that host musical events and ad hoc groups like our Wellspring Singers
– Winona History and Winona Art Centers, which have classes, art show openings, political events, and films
– my chiropractor, dentist, and doctor
– three thrift shops
It- a couple of pubs, and Ed’s No Name Bar (where artsy types gather every Friday eve)
This is the advantage of living in the “inner city”, here on this nice flat piece of land stretched along the Mississippi. I consider “walking or biking distance” to be anything I can get to within ten minutes. Several other things are not prohibitively far – for an outing, we have biked the 4 or 5 miles to my mom’s residence in the west end, and even out the Marine Art Museum.
Where would you like to walk to or bike to, once spring is really here?