I’m sure you’ll be shocked to hear that I’ve overdone. Again.
I have rules about things around the holidays. All self-imposed, so my own fault.
- No holiday music or movies until after dinner on Thanksgiving (YA always turns on the holiday station right as we leave from our Thanksgiving feast.)
- No holiday baking until the Friday after Thanksgiving.
- Tree purchased on Black Friday and put up some time that day.
- My best friend and her husband (and sometimes their kids & spouses) come to help decorate the tree, almost always the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
- Cookies and hot chocolate are served at Tree Trimming. Normally I make 5-6 kinds of cookies over the weekend for this gathering and then do the rest of the holiday cookies in the following few days.
These rules formed a perfect storm this year as my friend from Nashville arrived last night as well to babysit the house and the dog while YA and I take a trip. I decided that I needed to get all the cookies baked before Tree Trimming. I also had to get the house cleaned up. AND, the front porch was coming down the final stretch.
3 days, 15 kinds of cookies, tree, lights, tree trimming, house clean enough for company AND the front porch is done. I feel like I’ve been through the proverbial wringer and every muscle in my body has hired a hit man. There is even a blister where the dough scoop hits my middle finger and I woke up during the night with pain in my hand and had to take an ibuprofen! So I’m thinking that I have overdone it. Just a bit.
(Anna’s M & M, White Chocolate Madadamia, Lemon Snowflakes, Peanut Blossoms, Frosted Sugar, Malted Milk, Cream Cheese Spritz, Peanut Butter Bon Bons, Vanilla Crescents, Pecan Meltaways, Speculaas, Soft Ginger, 2 kinds of fudge). Yes I know this is only 14 – the 15th debuted it’s way right into the trash.
When was the last time you over-did?