It’s all your fault that I have too many tomatoes. Six years ago I read Tomatoland by Barry Estabrook, based on somebody’s recommendation on the trail. That made me want to grow my own tomatoes in the worst way. That led me to straw bales which had led me to today; tomatoes are taking over my kitchen!
This past weekend I tried to make a dent. First I made salsa for the freezer (2 jars):
- 4 cups diced, fresh tomatoes (Roma) – I didn’t peel them because I used an immersion blender after the salsa cooked down
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 chopped loco peppers – didn’t seed them so I could keep the heat
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2-1 Tbs. cayenne pepper
- 4 Tbs. chopped cilantro
That didn’t make a big enough dent so then I made Tomato Veggie soup in the slow cooker:
- 3 cups diced tomatoes – again left the skins on
- 2 cup water
- 1 ½ cupsw green beans, cut into bit-sizes
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup diced turnit
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 4 Tbs. cooked onion (sautéed w/ the garlic)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 2 bouillon cubes (I used vegetarian cubes)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Everything into the slow cooker, on low for about 8 hours.
Then today I came home and found another batch of ripe tomatoes on my vines. Help!
What do you like to do with excess garden produce?